S&T Connect is your communications hub for interacting with students, and allows you to manage tools like Flags and Kudos, create and manage appointment reminders, set office hours, view students in your support network and access a list of student support services available on campus.
Some of your profile, such as your contact information, is imported from your LMS or SIS. You have the ability to edit other parts of your profile, such as your biography.
To edit your bio:
1. Click on your name in the top navigation bar.
2. Edit your contact information, and select the email address where S&T Connect notifications should be sent.
3. Upload a photo to help students put a face to your name. To upload, complete the following steps:
- Click the Upload Photo link.
- Browse for a photo on your desktop (JPG, GIF, or PNG).
- Click the Upload Now button.
4. Provide information about yourself. This information will appear to students who can make appointments with you in S&T Connect.
5. Click the Submit button to save your updates. Note that each tab within the Profile has its own Submit button. Be sure to save changes on each tab.
The first time you log into S&T Connect, you are provided with a ‘wizard’ to walk you through setting up your office hours, which enables students to schedule time with you. If you do not wish to complete the wizard just yet, check the box labeled “Show me this Office Hours Setup Page again next time I login if I don’t have any Office Hours”, and then click the Close button.
If your office hours vary weekly, follow the link labeled “If your office hours don’t repeat weekly, click here”.
If your office hours recur:
- Indicate the day(s) you hold office hours by checking the boxes for each day of the week.
- Specify the start and end time for the day(s).
- Set the location of the office hours. You will be able to setup multiple office hour locations in your profile later. Enter details such as building, room number or phone number. You can also enter special instructions such as a phone conference code.
- Click the Set up Office Hours button.
To set up additional office hours or make any changes, click Appointments at the top of any page. Here you will find links to Add Office Hours, Add Appointment and Add Group Session.
Use the Scheduling Wizard to map out your availability for an entire week or the entire term.
After completing your Institutional Profile, you will need to set up your preferences for appointment notifications and tracking item notifications.
- Click on Email Notifications tab.
- Select your preferred Appointments Notifications.
- Check "Read busy times from my external Exchange calendar checkbox" to sync your Outlook Exchange calendar with your S&T Connect calendar.
- Select your preferred Tracking Item Notifications.
- Click Save button.
NOTE: If you do not have an Exchange mailbox and calendar, you can select "Read busy times from my external Google calendar" and then click on Click here to complete your calendar sync. (Refer to Share Your Google Calendar)
To synch your Microsoft Exchange calendar with the S&T Connect calendar, you will share your calendar.
- In Microsoft Outlook, select Calendar view.
- Place your cursor under My Calendars, and right click your mouse.
- From the menu, select Properties.
- On the Calendar Properties window, select Permissions tab.
- Click on Add, and the Add users window appears.
- Click on More columns radio button.
- Enter MU SIS Starfish in the Search field, and click Go to populate the name.
- Click Add.
- Click OK.
- In the Permission Level field, select Reviewer.
- In the Read field, select Full Details.
- Click OK. Your calendar is shared and will now sync with the S&T Connect calendar.
To import free/busy time into S&T Connect from your Google Calendar, you must share your calendar with S&T Connect. To share, complete the steps below:
- In Google Calendar, click on the menu to the right of the calendar you want to share.
- In the menu that opens, select Calendar Settings option.
- Scroll down to Private Address field, and select ICAL button.
- Copy the private URL provided by Google, and paste it in the related field in your S&T Connect profile.
S&T Connect automatically displays all students you are assigned or are enrolled in your courses. From this centralized communications hub, you can raise and manage Flags and Kudos, take and track attendance, and navigate and access student information.
Schedule and Document Meetings
Once your S&T Connect calendar is populated with Office Hours or Group Sessions, students may schedule with you through S&T Connect. As the calendar owner (or someone's calendar manager), you may also schedule Appointments/Group Sessions and document Outcomes. When you are ready to schedule meetings with students, you can schedule from the Add Appointments button, from within a Student Folder, or from an Existing Office Hour Block.
Schedule from the Add Appointment button
- Click Add Appointment button at the top of your Appointments tab or the Home page. This will open the Create Appointment dialogue to which you can add the details of the meeting.
Schedule from within a Student Folder
- Click Add Appointment icon or from within the Student Folder icon. When this option is selected, the student will be populated for the Create Appointment dialogue, and you can add the remaining details of the meeting.
Schedule from an Existing Office Hour Block
- If you are in the Day or Week View of your Starfish calendar, you can click the green plus icon in an existing block to schedule an Appointment at that time, and you can add the remaining details of the meeting.
*For all of the above, you will need to add meeting details for the appointment.
Record meeting outcomes
S&T Connect helps you document your meeting notes, including details like time and duration; the meeting outcomes; whether a student was a no-show; what you and the student discussed; and if there are any action items or next steps that require follow-up.
Hover over the appointment (calendar) icon associated with the desired appointment to open the appointments pop-up card. From that card, select the Outcomes button from the menu to record outcomes from the meeting.
From the Outcomes tab, you can record the details of the meeting, including the start and end time, attendance, and comments from the meeting.
A meeting may start or end before or after the scheduled time. In these cases, you can add the actual start and end time of the meeting on the Outcomes tab to account for the actual time the meeting occurred. Click on the Scheduling tab associated with the appointment to see the originally scheduled time.
Check the box labeled Student missed appointment to indicate the student did not show up for the appointment.
Enter meeting notes in the Comments box to document what you and the student discussed, including any action items or next steps. When submitted, this information is saved with the appointment information in the Notes tab within the Student Folder. Comments are only available to the people who have been allowed access. To allow student access to view comments, select "Permissions" and check the box to send a copy of the comments as an email to the student. Students do not have access to see these comments in S&T Connect if you do not check this box.
Each Appointment Type may have a set of activities associated with it that can be 'checked off' on the SpeedNotes tab. The items on this tab, and the organization of these items, may be unique to each appointment type, so you may not always see the same options on this tab. For example, if you are meeting with one student as a tutor and another student as an advisor. If your institution does not have any SpeedNotes configured for the appointment type, the SpeedNotes tab will not be displayed.
After you have documented the duration and outcomes of the meeting, click the Submit button to save this information with the appointment.
Assistant to the vice provost for student support
Jennifer True Oliva
Senior enrollment advisor